Saturday, April 1, 2017

A is for Apples

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, or at least that is what they say. Lately, I haven't been buying as many apples. HOW DARE I?! I used to buy apples all the time when I lived in Louisiana, and they were my go-to fruit. My favorite apple was the Fuji, crisp, juicy, and delicious. It was totally worth the extra ten cents for my favorite apples, but up here, in Pennsylvania, Fuji apples are $2.99, a whole dollar more than the Red Delicious apple, and $1.20 cents more than the Gala apples when they are on sale. This is a travesty!! According to USDA, Pennsylvania's apple prices are on the high side.

Sometimes I wish I could be like the people who buy food without looking at the prices, but every time I see that $2.99 price, I cringe, and those Fuji apples are thick, too. Buying just four apples costs about $4.00. I would have to keep my eyes closed extra tight as I pick up the apples and put them in my bag. Instead of being an everyday snack, apples have become an indulgence for me. How sad...I miss you dear apples, and I have written a haiku for you with our fond memories.

APPLES
Red, Pink, Yellow, Green
Juicy and a seeded core
Crisp and delicious


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep in mind that this is a personal blog, not a scientific inquiry.